Free poker in Canada can be played at online casinos and with free apps on your mobile smartphones. You can play free poker directly on your web browser without any download or by downloading the poker apps from Google Play Store or App store.
Free Poker Games To Play
There are various free poker games that you can play online. Video poker games are common to play at online casinos. These poker games are powered by top gaming providers like Microgaming, IGT, Real Time Gaming, Betsoft, Rival and others.
Here are a few of the most popular free poker games to play at Canadian-friendly online casinos even with your mobile.
Poker Games From Microgaming
Microgaming is one of the casino and gaming software developers that provide a great variety of video poker games to Canadians even for the most demanding players. A great variety of free poker games are present in the developer’s offerings, including a range of multi-hand offerings.
Literally, every poker variation is offered by Microgaming casinos, including the most popular variants. . Following are the popular Microgaming poker games to play:
- Deuces Wild
- Holdem Poker
- Aces and Faces
- Jacks or Better
- Tens or Better
- Power Poker
- Bonus Deuces Wild Power Poker.
- Jackpot Deuces Poker
You will find an impressive variety of Microgaming video poker games including multi-hand games, such as 10 hand Aces and Faces or 100 hand Jacks or Better, which allow players to play up to 100 hands simultaneously. Interesting varieties of standard games are offered, where certain cards are wild. Games like Double Double bonus poker have extra winning possibilities.
What Are The Best Progressive Poker Games From Microgaming?
Microgaming’s large portfolio of video poker would not be complete without a progressive jackpot game Note that progressive poker games demand real money deposit which means you need to play with real cash as there is seldom an option to play for free. There are two best progressive poker games to play:
- Jackpot Deuces Poker: This is a single-hand video poker game, with a maximum 5 coin bet. To be eligible to win the game’s enormous jackpot, you must bet the max. Your objective is to assemble the best possible 5 card poker hand. To win the top jackpot, you will need a “Diamond Royal Flush,” composed of the 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of diamonds.
- SupaJax: This poker is based on the familiar favorite Jacks or Better. Once again you must bet the maximum 5 coins to have a chance at the giant progressive jackpot. Four jacks plus the exclusive SupaJax card are the winning combinations you are looking for to win.
What Are The Best Online Poker Sites In Canada?
The best online poker sites in Canada are the Microgaming-powered online casinos.
You can play Microgaming poker games online for real money or for free at the following sites:
Free Poker Apps In Canada
There are many free poker apps in Canada to be found at Google Play Store or itunes store. Some of the best ones are:
How To Play Video Poker On Mobile?
- To play video poker on mobile all you need is to pick your Android or iPhone mobile or tablet and join Canadian-friendly online casino.
- You don’t have to download anything. Simply type the casino URL on mobile chrome or safari web browser
- Now head to video poker games and choose to play for real money or for free
- Online video poker for real money means you need to make real money deposit to play the poker game.
- Now tap or click to play
- On the game select the denomination of game you want to play by touching the proper areas on the video screen.
- Begin playing a hand by hitting the “Play Max Credits” button.
- Select the cards you want to hold by either hitting the “Hold/Cancel” button or by touching the card on the video screen.
- To cancel the hold, hit the button underneath the card again, or touch the card again.
- Hit the “Deal/Draw” button to save the selected cards and replace the others with new cards.
- If your game asks if you want to “Double Up” when you win the hand, select whether or not you want to try to double your win.
- Video Poker play is relatively straight forward and with right decisions you win or lose.
How To Play Multihand Video Poker?
To play Multihand video poker games all you need is to do :
- Select the number of hands you want to play (you don’t have to play the maximum number of games to get the best return).
- Select the bet per hands (always bet 5 so you don’t miss out on the royal flush bonus).
- Hit the Deal / Draw button.
- The base hand is dealt at the bottom of the screen.
- All the cards in the other hands remain face down.
- Select the card(s) you wish to hold (if any).
- These same cards in the same position will show face up in all hands being played.
- Hit the Deal / Draw button.
- Each of the hands being played will be filled by a separate deck of shuffled cards.
- Each winning hand at video poker will accrue credits as if it were a single hand game. If a royal flush is dealt in the base hand (and you select all five cards), each hand will collect the 4,000 credits.
Which Video Poker Game Is Best To Play?
Jacks or Better is great choice because of its popularity and an outstanding balance of payout and house edge.
All video poker games have transparent odds. It means that you can calculate your chances of winning and overcoming the house edge.
Video poker games use the same 52-card deck as other poker games. That means you have 1 in 52 chances of getting any particular card, 1 in 13 chances of getting any number that you want, and 1 in 4 chances of getting a specific suit.
Those are the base odds in any video poker game. Since you know what your chances are in getting any particular card, you can use it to calculate a video poker game’s expected return.
What Video Poker Games Have Best Odds?
Following video poker games have best odds:
1. Jacks or Better
This game is pretty straightforward and eerily similar to 5 Card Draw. You’ll get five cards, and you choose the ones that you keep, then rank the hand using poker rankings. The payout that you’ll receive depends on the rank, with pairs being the lowest-paying hand and the royal flush with a payout of 800 to 1.
Though this video poker game doesn’t have the best odds, but it’s most likely the game that you’ll find in every casino. Before you start playing Jacks or Better, it would be best to look for one that offers a 9/6 paytable. The payback percentage for this game shoots up to 99.54%, which is better than the odds of experts who play blackjack.
2. Deuces Wild
Deuces Wild is almost the same as Jacks or Better, but with a very distinct variation — the 2s in the deck are wild cards and can be used as any card that you might need to complete a hand.
This variation changed the dynamics of the game, so the lowest-paying hand in Deuces Wild is a 3 of a kind. The royal flush remains the highest-playing hand, with 800 to 1 in a five-coin game.
The payback percentage for Deuces Wild is higher than Jacks or Better at 99.73%, but you won’t see this game often. If you’ve found a casino with Deuces Wild, it’s probably one of the best paying games around.
3. Bonus Poker
In Jacks or Better, the payout when you complete a 4-of-a-kind is the same, regardless of the card; in Bonus Poker, the payout depends on the rank.
The payback percentage for Bonus Poker is 99.17%, which isn’t the game that you’d want to play over and over. The game is very volatile, and your winnings may fluctuate. However, any video poker game that has a payback percentage higher than 99% will always be one of the highest-paying games in most casinos.
4. Double Bonus Poker
If you’re looking for a video poker game that’ll pay you to play, then Double Bonus Poker is best. The payout for a 4-of-a-kind is twice of what you’ll get from Bonus Poker, which brings the payback percentage for this game to a whopping 100.17%! Casinos counter the generous payout on complete hands by reducing the pair payout from 2 to 1.
|Jacks or Better||99.54%|
|Tens or Better||99.14%|
|Deuces Wild (single play)||96.77%|
|Deuces Wild (multi hand)||99.37%|
|Deuces and Joker Wild||99.07%|
|Aces and Faces||99.26%|
|Aces and Eights||98.72%|
|Double Double Bonus||98.98%|
Q1. Is it legal to play online poker in Canada?
It is legal to play poker online in Canada at the above-mentioned offshore online casinos. Quebec, Manitoba and British Columbia. Quebeckers can play online poker on Loto-Québec’s site. Also BC punters can play at PlayNow, which is owned by the British Columbia Lottery Corporation. Note that PlayNow and OK Poker are in fact just two skins on the same network. No matter which province you’re playing from, the opponents at your table could be from any of those three provinces.
Q2. Are poker winnings taxable in Canada?
No poker winnings are not taxable in Canada. By default, Canada charges no tax on gambling winnings, unlike the US. However, it does make an exception for someone it considers a professional gambler. It’s only if you’re spending long hours playing a skill-based game like poker, using a system to grind out profit, and relying on it as your primary source of income that you’re at risk of getting declared “a professional.” Once you have that designation, then you are required to declare your winnings each year and pay income tax on them.
Q3. Where can I play Live poker in Canada?
The Playground Poker Club in Kahnawake (just outside Montreal) has arguably become the most popular poker room in the country, with different online poker sites choosing this location as the venue for their live events.
PokerStars has held its Canada Cup ($3,300 Main Event, $2 million guaranteed) at Playground, while partypoker is holding its Canadian Poker Championships. This means that online players in Canada can satellite into live events online for a fraction of the buy-in.
The nearby Casino Montreal might be the best choice for newcomers and amateur players, due to the lower overall skill level of the common player. However, because of this the rake fees are slightly higher than those in dedicated poker rooms.
In Ontario, players can visit the OLG Casino Brantford which offers 14 Texas Hold’em tables. Cash games always run, but they also offer a varied tournament schedule including ladies events, bounty events, and deep stack tournaments.
The River Rock Casino in Richmond, British Columbia, is open 24 hours a day, offering around-the-clock cash games. Other recommendations include Casino Nova Scotia, Caesars Windsor, Northlands Park in Alberta, Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort, Medicine Hat Lodge Resort in Alberta, Casino de Mont-Tremblant, and Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino (also in Alberta).
You can play poker for free or with real money that’s your choice as online casinos are open for both options.