- Software: Microgaming
- Paylines: 243
- Reels: 5
- Min Coins Per Line: 1
- Max Coins Per Line:15
- Min Coins Size: 0.01
- Max Coins Size: 0.05
- Jackpot: 10
- Bonus Game: No
- Progressive: No
- Wild Symbol: Yes
- Scatter Symbol: Yes
- Multiplier: No
- Free Spins: Yes
Highlander is a new slot game from Microgaming inspired by the cult 1980s movie set in the Scottish Highlands and New York City. The story of the immortals is brought to life in this slot which features stunning graphics and classic footage from the smash hit movie. This is a dream for nostalgia fans as the symbols are all characters from the film including Connor McLeod, Brends Wyatt and the Kurgan.
The backdrop features the misty Scottish hills with lightning flashing across the sky. There are a few important game features here, such as the wild symbols and scatters, along with free spins and extra wilds for many different ways to win. Plus, this game uses the popular 243 ways to win feature instead of paylines so you can enjoy huge payout potential in this slot game.
Before you can start your Scottish adventure you need to pick your staring stake. As the 243 ways to win feature is active there are no payines to decide on and you can get straight to setting your stake per spin. Betting begins at 0.30 per spin and goes up to 500 per spin so most slots players should be comfortable with these options.
You can also opt to use the autoplay feature, which lets you play your spins automatically without the need to click the play button each time. You can also choose to use the max bet button to bet the max amount easily and quickly while other options include audio controls and a full screen mode option.
Symbols and Features
The high value symbols are all characters from the movie and include Connor Macleod (modern and old), Brenda Wyatt, Heather MacLeod and The Kurgan; 10, J, Q, K and A make up the lower values.
- The wild symbol is MacLeod’s sword and it will substitute for all others to help form winning combinations except for the the MacLeod clan symbol.
- The deer is the wild symbol which completes a winning combination when it substitutes the other symbols bar the scatter. It also plays a pivotal role during the free spins and swords bonus.
- The hand with the number on top of it is the ‘Super Wild’, it tells you for how many rounds the symbol will remain in place. The symbol can appear for successive rounds which is great. As if this is not enough there’s a ‘Sword Skill’ bonus mode where you must pick from 3 Tartan Tiles which reveals a guaranteed cash prize.
- Needless to say there’s another bonus mode titled the ‘Battle Bonus’ which is the pick of the crop to us, here you must battle the Kurgan (another immortal). The only way to defeat him (Kurgan) is to chop of his head and claim all his powers.
- The symbol that pays the top cash prize is ‘The Prize’, 5 of them at the maximum wager pays 250 coins.
The green eye is the scatter symbol in this game and if 3 of these appear on the screen you will launch the free games bonus round. Players are taken to a new screen with a dramatic New York City backdrop. Here you can enjoy a series of 20 free spins and if you hit more scatters during the round you will re-trigger them for lots of extra free winning chances.
During this round you can enjoy quickening wilds, which will appear whenever the lightning strikes the screen. The lightning turns regular symbols into wilds to create more winning combinations. Plus, look out for the watcher symbols which can also turn into wilds for even more lucrative bonus action!
Two bonus features are always better than one and this game comes with a higher-than-usual RTP of 97.00%. As said above the symbol that pays the top cash prize is ‘The Prize’, land 5 of them on the reels at the maximum wager you’ll pocket 250 coins. The symbol that pays the top cash prize is the scatter, 5 of them on an active payline at the maximum wager pays wins.